Last Updated on
In this article, I will show you a list of 2019 Google ranking factors which influence the current rankings and what is essential to follow if you want to get more significant amount of search traffic to your blog.
1. Content should have value.
In Search Console Help Google it’s explained that they are against thin affiliate sites and are ready to penalize websites which don’t give unique content to their visitors or have too many affiliate links in their posts.
2. Create the “Contact us” page.
Google has written that they will give preference to sites with “appropriate amount of contact information.” So, create – contact us page, and include as much contact information as possible, don’t forget to include links to your social network accounts too.
3. Your site’s Trust Ranking (TF)
4. Use proper site architecture.
5. Update your site regularly.
6. Make your website Sitemap
A sitemap helps search engine bot to discover where all your content is located in your site. You should create a sitemap and upload it to Google Search console or Bing Webmaster tools. If you use WordPress there are plenty plugins that will create and update sitemap for you, but if you use the self-made site, you will need to use any of the free sitemap creator tools over the internet, you can simply Google them.
7. Keep your website up and working.
If you experience plenty of moments where your site is down, you might get de-indexed from search engines. Even short periods for two days or more can cause loss of your rankings if search engines bot will try to visit your page in this time.
8. Base your server close to your audience location.
Your server location has a big impact on your site speed for a current visitor. If your audience is in the USA for example, but your server stays in Europe, users will expect slower site speed. This is especially important to geo-targeted sites.
Luckily there is a brilliant solution called CDN that can solve your problem with ease. CDN is a particular service that will cache your page, send copies to their servers around the world and will deliver your site to visit not from your original server, but from the closest available CDN server.
9. Site Security Certificate (SSL)
SSL certificate is a very important factor in Google eyes and Google has officially confirmed that having https is a ranking factor.
11. Avoid duplicating meta information.
Search engines at the first look compare your sites by reading meta descriptions, page titles and meta keywords. If they are the same for two different pages, in Google eyes it seems you have a duplicated content and most likely Google will index only one page and will leave all other pages with the same metadata unindexed.
12. Use proper Breadcrumb Navigation
Google has written: “Google Search uses breadcrumb markup in the body of a web page to categorize the information from the page in search results.”. So keep in mind to keep it simple. User-friendly page architecture is recommended.
13. Optimize your site for mobile devices.
Nowadays more than 50% of all searches have been done from mobile devices. In that case, Google now penalizes sites that are not mobile friendly.
14. Have a user-friendly site.
Search engines try to make their bots act more and more as regular visitors does. In that fact making site user-friendly is a good idea not only to give a better experience to your visitors but also to look better in search engines eyes.
15. Build the reputation of your site.
Site reputation is very important. Search engines can try to check if your site has customer reviews or testimonials and decide then if you can have another point for shoving the value of your site to visitors.
Domain Level Ranking Factors
16. Domain age factor
There isn’t too much you can do with that, but domain age matters. The older your domain will be the better it will rank.
17. Relevant keyword in the top level domain
It is a good idea to think about your blog main keyword before you have gone to register a domain. You can read more about it in my previous post “how to register the right domain for your blog.”
18. Start your Domain with the main keyword.
Well it is a proven that domain which starts with the main keyword , have far more benefits comparing with domains where keyword isn’t the first word. For example for my main keyword “webmaster”, domain webmastereasy.com will have bigger potential then domain easywebmaster.com.
19. Domain length factor
Short domains rank better. I know one-word domains nearly aren’t possible to get anymore especially on .com TLD, but try to find right two words domain and try avoiding three or more words in a domain name.
20. Domain name history factor
If you bought a domain which was previously penalized, you are risking to take Google penalties over you. Also, domains that have been dropped multiple times in Google eyes seems potentially untrustful.
21. TLD extension factor
Country-based TLD like co.uk or .fr will help you to rank better traffic in a particular country, but you will rank poorly in whole other countries. Also by using extension .de for a page to be ranked in Russia for example, will look suspicious in Google eyes.
Page level ranking factors
22. You should include keywords in the title of the article.
23. Your article should start with the main keyword.
24. Include the main keyword in your post description.
25. Your primary keyword should appear in H1 or H2 tags.
26. Try writing longer posts when possible.
27. Include a table of content.
28. Keyword destiny factor.
29. Page loading speed.
Search engines can quickly determine your sites speed.
It is proven that all search engines use page speed as a ranking factor.
30. Page loading speed in Chrome browser
Google owns Chrome browser and wisely collects browsing data from Chrome browser to determine user experience by visiting a particular site.
31. Avoid duplicate content.
32. Your images should be optimized.
33. Update your content.
34. External links are ranking factor.
35. Use proper grammar in your content.
36. Have a mobile-friendly site.
Google uses their “mobile first” policy, which means they will prioritize sites that are mobile friendly and have proper mobile-friendly navigation for different mobile devices from tablets to phones.
37. Amount of outbound links from your website.
38. Broken links factor.
39. Internal links ranking factor.
40. Domain authority factor (DA)
41. Page URL path factor.
42. Multiple keyword ranking factor.
43. Linking domains amount ranking factor.
44. Linking domains which age factor.
45. Try getting backlinks from domains that are related to different IP classes.
46. Keyword in the backlink anchor text.
47. Alt text ranking factor for post images.
48. Linking domain authority (DA) factor.
49. Links from the same domain as your competitors.
50. Backlinks from guest posts.
51. No- follow link ranking factor.
52. Link diversity factor.
Having too big percentage of one type of links only, for example, signature links, guest post links, comment links and so on are sign that you use spammy technologies to build your webpage link portfolio.
You should build your link portfolio with diversity in the mind, using different technologies, different link sources and getting both dofollow and nofollow links to get your page ranked high.